Tangy-Sweet Green Beans – Freshly picked garden green beans tossed with onions, bacon, and sun-dried tomatoes and a splash of red wine vinegar make this one unforgettable dish and a soon-to-be family favorite.
There is a rivalry in heart for my favorite veggie.
A friend sent a message that she needed to make a side dish for a friend and needed recommendations.
Such a broad question for me so further inquiry was needed. We chatted and I felt my 3rd favorite green bean recipe would work perfectly for her. Tangy-Sweet Green Beans.
It got me wondering why have I not made this to share yet? It is truly a delicious recipe.
She posted that she loved these Tangy-Sweet Green Beans on Facebook and a few friends said they needed the recipe, so after I picked another friend’s garden clean last weekend, it all just seemed like kismet to finally make and share.
Two pounds of green beans seems like a lot, and it is. You can easily decrease to a pound and half, but once these are made, and you are taste testing for salt and pepper, compulsive eating will commence.
I ate so many between cooking and the photo shoot, it was rather pathetic and my lack of self control is appalling. Although the bright side, it’s not donuts or chocolate cake, so the waistline endured.
Tangy-Sweet Green Beans
Garden green beans tossed with onions, bacon, and sun-dried tomatoes and a splash of red wine vinegar.
- 2 lbs fresh green beans; trimmed
- 6 bacon slices, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 shallot; chopped finely 1/4 cup red onion can be substituted
- 2 oz sun-dried tomatoes; chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt; +/- to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper; +/- to taste
Trim and wash the green beans; set aside.
- Cook bacon and shallots/onion in a large pot, pan, or dutch oven over medium heat, stirring often, 6 to 8 minutes or until browned.
- Transfer bacon mixture to a plate, reserving drippings in pot.
Cook the beans in the hot drippings, stirring often, 8 to 10 minutes or to desired degree of tenderness.
Last couple of minutes add the sun dried tomatoes.
- Stir in vinegar, sugar, and bacon mixture.
- Cook, stirring often, 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
The green beans can be blanched in salted boiling water for 3-5 minutes, put in an ice water bath to stop cooking, then added directed to the cooking bacon and shallots/onions-Then sauté for only 3 minutes or so in the bacon mixture and the remaining ingredients.
These Tangy-Sweet Green Beans can be served with literally anything. But if you’re looking for a full delicious meal, how about the following:
- Mushroom Tarragon Roasted Pork Tenderloin
- Sweet Tea Brined Grilled Chicken
- Creamy Dijon Chicken
- Gorgonzola Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- Pomegranate Honey Chicken
- Apple Cider Turkey
- Orange Honey Hoisin Short Ribs
- Pork Chops with Glazed Apples and Vegetables
- Spiced Roasted Potatoes
- Porcini Pancetta Dressing
- Roasted Frozen Corn
- Maple Thyme Roasted Carrots
- Creamy Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
- Sautéed Spinach
- Chipotle Roasted Sweet Potatoes