Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Drummers and Veggies – Chicken drumsticks slow cooked and tossed with teriyaki sauce with zucchini and carrots stir-fried in sauce.What do you do when your market has a 6-pack of drummers for $1.98 and your friend gave you 4 cups of homemade gluten free teriyaki sauce? You toss them in a slow cooker and then dinner is on its way to being done. I thought fresh from the garden carrots and zucchini sautéed with some more of the teriyaki sauce would compliment the drummers completely. I was right. The dinner was simple and yet utterly satisfying, well, for the adults anyway.
My friend Bob and his two girls were over for dinner. His eldest daughter didn’t like anything but she was under the weather. His youngest daughter loved the chicken and ate some veggies but they weren’t her favorite (and they were from her garden). My daughter ate one carrot and one zucchini and called the veggies done. Now, the drumstick was an entirely different experience for her. Let me first explain that as a parent, where chicken drummers are concerned, I am a failure.
This was her FIRST drumstick EVER. Growing up, that was the piece given to us kids. How fun they were to eat back then. My siblings, cousins, and I would be at our grandparents’ dinner table and those drummers might be mock guns, swords for pirate battling, any weapon really before we actually ate them. But this day in age, with chicken breasts being all the rage and my love for thighs because of their perfect portion size, I have never served her a drumstick. Oh and I have never purchased a bucket of chicken from the Colonel either for her to have enjoyed one that way. See, parental failure.
Well, she didn’t like the look of the chicken, her words were “this is freaking me out.” So, the meat was cut off the bone. Then she loved it. Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Drummers and Veggies, but maybe off the bone will definitely be made again soon.
I wish I could guarantee everyone will love the dish, but apparently vegetables are not palatable to youngsters.
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Drummers and Stir-fried Veggies
- 6 chicken drummers (or as many as you want, but adjust the remaining ingredients)
- Granulated garlic
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce/glaze
- 1 lb zucchini; cut into spears
- 6 oz carrots; quartered
- 8 green onions; trimmed and divided
- 3 tbsp liquid from slow cooker
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic; minced/grated
- pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp teriyaki sauce/glaze
- 1/2-1 1/2 tbsp honey (if the sauce needs sweetening to personal preference)
- Hot Cooked Rice
- Heat the slow cooker to high.
- Sprinkle the chicken drummers with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic.
- Place in the slow cooker and cover.
- Cook for one hour on high, flip the chicken sides, then replace the lid.
- Lower the heat to low and continue to cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (Adjust this time if cooking layers of chicken).
- Using a brush, paint the teriyaki sauce/glaze over the chicken, then rotate them and repeat, pour remaining sauce/glaze into the slow cooker to mix with the chicken renderings.
- In a large pan or wok, heat the liquid from the slow cooker and the sesame oil over high heat.
- Add the zucchini, garlic, carrots, and green onions, cook on high for about 5 minutes or until the carrots have softened to tender-crisp.
- Add the pepper, teriyaki sauce, and honey if using.
- Cook an additional minute.
- Serve the chicken and vegetables over hot rice-if so desired.