Balsamic Glazed Pot Roast ~ Perfect for a holiday or your Sunday dinner, slow Cooked Beef Roast in a rich balsamic sauce with sautéed mushrooms.
Last year I went crazy. I decided to make this Balsamic Glazed Pot Roast for Christmas.
My entire life, Christmas dinner has been ham. But no, last year I had to throw caution to the wind and make beef. I decided I needed to grow as a holiday meal maker. I had to toss tradition aside, thumb my nose at the established holiday menu.
Thanksgiving is turkey and both Christmas and Easter has historically been ham. But, then I realized that beef was holiday-less.
I suddenly felt sorry for beef. Sure, I eat enough beef in the form of steak and burgers in the summer off the grill, but no holiday had its claim upon the meat.
Now, Christmas is the beef holiday. Officially Balsamic Glazed Pot Roast holiday. I feel good with my decision. And my taste buds couldn’t be any happier (do you hear that in a Chandler Bing voice? I totally do!)
While beef roasts are a staple at my table throughout the year, this one is just a bit more special, probably because of the balsamic vinegar.
We’ve discussed my love of balsamic vinegar. It’s deep. It’s eternal. The rich beef flavor combined with the sweet vinegar and mild shallot made this my absolutely favorite beef roast.
It feels fancy enough to adorn your holiday table but is simple enough to grace your weeknight table. Whatever occasion you choose to serve this roast, I promise, it will be a special meal.
If you’re in need of some delicious side dishes to serve along side this very tasty Balsamic Glazed Pot Roast, I’ve got you covered.
Tuscan White Bean and Sausage Dip ~ This is a a great Italian inspired appetizer that will pair well with these Italian recipes.
Insalata di rucola con pera e prosciutto ~ That’s Italian for an arugula salad with pears and prosciutto with fresh parmesan and a simple vinaigrette.
Tangy-Sweet Green Beans ~ Freshly picked garden green beans tossed with onions, bacon, and sun-dried tomatoes and a splash of red wine vinegar.
Rustic Italian Potato Salad ~ A true Italian version of potato salad with simple ingredients; olive oil, celery, parsley, and pimento.
Salted Caramel Affogato ~ Similar to an espresso and vanilla gelato, this salted caramel ice cream dessert will finish off your Italian meal in style.
Balsamic Glazed Pot Roast
- Beef Roast; 4-5 lb.
- Cooking oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce/tamari
- 1 shallot; minced
- Salt/pepper; to taste
- 1 tbsp . Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tbsp . red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic; crushed
- Sprigs for fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp butter
- 16 oz mushrooms; sliced
- In a frying pan, quickly sear the roast on all sides and add to a slow cooker.
- In a bowl, whisk together the broth, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, soy/tamari sauce, shallot, salt, pepper, Worcestershire, and red pepper flakes.
- Pour the whisked liquid over the roast, add the garlic, thyme, and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
When cooked, remove from liquid and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Remove 2 cups of liquid and pass through a cheesecloth, several coffee filters (they will clog with rendered fat, making it necessary to change them frequently) or a fat separator. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan, melt the butter and cook the mushrooms on medium for 10 minutes or until browned and softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Plate the roast, serve with the liquid and top with sautéed mushrooms.
Need several coffee filters, cheesecloth, or fat separator.