Sweet Pork Mini Tostadas with Plum Salsa ~ Slow cooked pork in a sweet sauce, shredded for mini tostadas and garnished with fresh plum salsa.If you have been to any of the popular Mexican bistro-style semi-fast food places, you’ve come face to face with sweet pork. If you haven’t been to any of those places, don’t worry, I have a recipe for you just a few inches below.
Sweet Pork Mini Tostadas with Plum Salsa ~ Slow cooked pork in a sweet sauce, shredded for mini tostadas and garnished with fresh plum salsa
- 3-5 lb. pork roast
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (or light)
- 1 cup root beer
- 1 cup salsa (any preference)
- 1 tbsp. mustard powder
- 3 cloves garlic; minced/grated
- 1 tbsp. green chilies
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Corn tortillas
- Oil; high heat variety
- Plum Salsa
- Place the roast in a slow cooker.
- In a bowl, whisk all the remaining ingredients together and pour over the roast.
- Cook for at least 6 hours on low.
- Once it is thoroughly cooked and has basically fallen apart, shred any large chunks.
- Mix the meat into the sauce and lower the temp to the lowest setting-keep warm.
- To make mini tostadas, you can purchase small taco size corn tortillas at your local Mexican market. If you don’t live near a Mexican market, you can buy regular size and use a large biscuit cutter to punch out smaller tortillas.
- Heat a frying pan with oil and once the oil is hot, fry the tortillas to the desired crispiness. Usually about 1 minute.
- Using a slotted spoon, layer some strained sweet pork onto the crispy shell and top with fresh plum salsa.
- Optional garnishes include queso fresco and cilantro.