Colcannon ~ Traditional Irish side dish of mashed potatoes, cabbage, and green onions…and butter.This dish might sound utterly dull, boring, and plain. But I promise you it is anything but. I had it for the first time a few years ago at a St. Patrick’s day dinner. I was instantly on board because I love cabbage and mashed potatoes and together it just had to be amazing. And it really was.
This is one of those dishes that is done in 30 minutes or so. The most tedious portion was peeling the potatoes. The cabbage cooks while the potatoes are boiling and I use an electric mixer to whip my potatoes, making the job utterly easy.
I might have eaten more than my fair share of Colcannon. It’s rare that I pass on the protein in favor of potatoes, but that’s exactly what happened with this tasty bit. I didn’t mind at all either. Although there was a downside. When I was tucking my daughter into bed, the full-potato belly caught up with me and somewhere during the story we were reading I nodded off. Poor Elizabeth nudged me a few times just to finish the book. She told me I should just go to bed. Girl, don’t I wish.
I am certain I will be making this dish more than once a year at St. Patrick’s day. Colcannon is just that good.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links below and make a purchase using the link, I’ll receive a penny or two, which helps maintain this site. I promise to make links relevant to the content you are reading.
- 4 russets; peeled and cubed
- 1/2 head cabbage; chopped
- 6 tbsp butter; divided 3/3
- 3/4 c cream
- 6-8 green onions; thinly sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Drain and add them to a large bowl.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2-3 tbsp of butter.
- Once the butter has melted add the cabbage and sauté until the cabbage softens, about 5-7 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
- Slowly incorporate the cream.
- Stir in the cabbage and then green onions; mix well.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or keep warm until ready to serve.