Baked Breaded Mushrooms ~ Button mushrooms coated in a seasoned breading and baked until golden brown and crispy.
So many food obligations, so little time.
I love it.
When my palate grew up a few years ago and I discovered the deliciousness that are mushrooms, there has been no stopping my usage of them. Just like onions and garlic, if I can toss them in a dish, I will. But rarely, do I make them the star.
With all my foodie commitments on the horizon, I decided to give my favorite little fungi the royal treatment, which was also at the suggestion of a friend. Although I think he suggested it a bit tongue in cheek, since he left a box of frozen breaded mushrooms in my freezer after an evening of movies and appetizers. I love deep fried anything, truly do, but I am really not a fan of deep frying at home. Why fill your house with smoke and grease (oh wait, is it only my house that fills with smoke when I deep fry?) when you can use your oven that self cleans after any mess you make in it?
Using panko really helped get them crispy and also by spraying them down with cooking spray before tossing them in the oven and then sprayed them again at the half way point with I turned them over. Cooking spray…Cheating? Kitchen hack? You can decide.
These go perfectly with Homemade Ranch Dip.
Baked Breaded Mushrooms
- 1-16 oz package small button mushrooms
- 3 eggs (2 jumbo or 3 medium)
- 1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- 1 tbsp (heaping) dried parsley, ran through hands to break up.
- Cooking spray
- Pre-heat oven to 450°
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil (if desired)
- Mix all the breading ingredients together in a large bowl or bag.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and dip several mushrooms in it at a time.
- Roll 3-5 mushrooms at a time in the breading and place on the baking sheet.
- Repeat until all mushrooms have been breaded.
- Spray the mushrooms generously with cooking spray.
- Bake for about 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn each mushroom over, spray again with cooking spray and resume baking, an addition 5-8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.