The idea and subsequent recipe was created about three weeks ago. One thing after another got in the way of making it. Finally, I was going to make it, I had thawed the meat, the verde sauce ingredients were purchased and then something (I don’t remember what) came up and I couldn’t get the recipe made. When I returned to it, the peppers had turned. UGH. The meat needed to be used, so I used that up in another dish.
Another week passed, ingredients were repurchased. Nothing was getting in my way keeping me from making these Pork Meatballs in a Quick Verde Sauce. Onions, peppers, and tomatillos were prepped; dry goods were measured out; ground pork, eggs and such were in their bowl. I get the veggies sautéed, then pureed with my immersion blender. The meatballs are formed and a few had been dropped into the sauce to begin their steam bath.
I kept tasting the sauce, it was good, but it was not right. In fact, it was head-scratchingly wrong. I looked around the kitchen, I glossed over my written recipe. I kept tasting. Nothing was clicking. I have made chile verde before, I know how it should taste. Sure, I was not making the roasted and slow cooked version. I was going for a quick stove top, weeknight version, but still, this was not tasting the way it should.
I FOR-GOT THE CI-LAN-TRO. (Can you hear my tone?)
I pulled out the meatballs, added the chopped herb, re-pureed the sauce, re-tasted sauce and re-dropped the meatballs back into the now re-simmering sauce.
Pork Meatballs in a Quick Verde Sauce ~ Seasoned ground pork formed into meatballs and cooked in a simmering stove top verde sauce
- 8 tomatillos; chopped
- 1 green bell pepper; chopped
- 1/2 large onion; chopped
- 1 poblano pepper; chopped
- 1 cup cilantro; chopped
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/3 tsp salt and pepper; to taste
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1-15 oz can broth
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup panko
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic; grated
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1-4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup queso fresco
- Soak the tomatillos in warm water for about 5 minutes to loosen the husks, then remove the husks, clean the skins and quarter-cut.
- Heat a large skillet with oil to medium-high, and add the onions, garlic, salt/pepper, and peppers, cook for two minutes then add the tomatillos; cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the cilantro, broth, and oregano, bring to a high simmer.
- Once the tomatillos have softened, using a stick or immersion blender, puree until mostly smooth, you can use a regular blender or a food processor.
- Bring to a high simmer add the meatballs...
- Mix all the ingredients together and form small meatballs.
- Drop the meatballs into the simmering verde sauce.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until the meatballs have cooked through while the sauce reduces.
- Serve with queso fresco.
If you’re not a pork fan, using ground turkey would be amazing. Eating this along side some black beans would just be utterly amazing. Personally, I’d love them with this Corn and Black Beans dish. I think they’d also go great along side my Cuban Yellow Rice. What type of side dish would you serve with these pork meatballs in a quick verde sauce?