My sister Emily introduced me to the wonderful world of cilantro hummus. Unfortunately, it was at a very sad time. All of my siblings, save one (and her family―on my dad’s side) all piled in a mini-van to road trip to California, for our grandmother’s funeral. While you might think this was a somber trek, it really wasn’t. We were lively, laughing, enjoying one another. And of course, there was food. We had junk food and health food, pretty much everything in between for this journey. Emily made a hummus to bring along. I should note that my family road trips with large coolers, lest we run out of food.
When she popped the lid on the Tupperware, the scent of cilantro made its way to my nose and I couldn’t wait to try this very aromatic dish. Once I got my pita chip in the dish, I was transported. I loved how filling and healthy it was. I am always looking for high protein dishes with lots of flavor. This dish had it. Plus it was a pretty green color, so that helped make it a winner in my book. Most hummuses, hummi,? use lemon, I used lime instead of lemon because cilantro and lime are a natural pairing, but you could use either. I hope you enjoy this dish.
- 1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans; drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime
- 1/2 tsp salt-or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil-or more to taste
- 1 head/bunch of cilantro
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Black pepper; large pinch
- Open, drain, and rinse the beans and add them to the blender.
- Cut off the blackened part of cilantro stems and dispose.
- With a sharp knife, roughly chop the cilantro. This is to help it fit in the blender a bit better.
- Add the tahini, lime juice, salt, garlic, olive oil, paprika, cumin, and black pepper.
- Blend on high.
- Stop once or twice and scrap down the edges.
- Adjust the olive oil, salt, pepper, all these are to taste.
- Continue to blend until smooth and the cilantro and beans have formed a paste-like smoothness.
- Add to a serving bowl, drizzle a bit of olive oil and serve with your favorite dippers!