Bacon Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes ~ Mashed red potatoes with bacon, mushrooms, and blue cheese mixed in; the ultimate in side dish heaven.
The other day I was looking over all my recipes, seeing what I had already published in regards to holiday meals. I wish I could say I remember every dish I’ve made with perfect clarity, but I don’t-not until I see the recipe post.
Whenever I want to see what I have already made, I go to my Pinterest blog board. It’s all right there, visual, and easy for me to create a list instead of scrolling through almost 500 posts on my website. After I compiled my holiday list, I noticed one thing…A woeful lack of potatoes. As you all know, I either limit my carbs or ‘go big or go home’ with them, so there are not a lot of potato recipes period on the site. But holiday meals are always a ‘go big or go home’ situation.
In order to rectify the lack of potatoes issue, I took to the kitchen immediately and made a new potato recipe.
The things I do for you all, making potatoes and having to taste-test them over and over again when I shouldn’t have them! But in all seriousness, the holidays are rapidly coming.
My Thanksgivings vary from year to year. It’s been many years since I traveled to California to eat with my family. It’s a short and hectic holiday to travel therefore it’s simply easier to have dinner at home.
Most years I host-sometimes for many, other times, a small few. But from time to time, I am guest and bring a dish to share. However it works out for you, these Bacon Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes are a fantastic alternative to the classic albeit delicious mashed potatoes and gravy.Those time when it’s just a small few, I don’t want to go through the effort of making a full-size bird. It’s just too much when I am only feeding 4 or so friends. The JENNIE-O® OVEN READY™ Boneless Turkey Breast are perfect during such times.
If you, like me, find yourself with just a small gathering this Thanksgiving or Christmas, these JENNIE-O® OVEN READY™ Turkeys are an easy solution for your holiday entertaining. They go straight from the freezer to the oven and require minimal prep, no thawing required. Plus, no handling of raw poultry.Bacon Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes paired with JENNIE-O® OVEN READY™ Boneless Turkey Breast is a delicious and easy way to enjoy your holiday meal.
Bacon Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs red potatoes; cleaned and cubed
- 4-6 thick cut slices of bacon; chopped
- 2 cloves garlic; minced/grated
- 1/4 lb (4 oz carton) blue cheese crumbles
- 1/3-1/2 cup heavy cream; to desired consistency
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 oz diced mushrooms
- 3 tbsp diced chives
- Salt/Pepper; to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to boil; generously salt and add potatoes.
- Cook until fork tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, over medium-high heat, cook the bacon about 4 minutes; add the garlic, cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking another 5 minutes or until the bacon is cooked and the mushrooms are soft and brown. Remove from heat.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain and place back in the pan or a large bowl. Add the butter, cream, and some salt and pepper.
- Rough mash using a potato masher.
- Add the blue cheese, and bacon mixture, mix to combine.
- Stir in the chives, reserving a few as garnish.
- Transfer potatoes to a serving bowl, garnish with the remaining chives.