Sage Apple Cranberry Dressing ~ Herbaceous and fruity, the classic holiday dressing with a flirty twist. Oh it’s that time of year! All my favorite foods begin to grace the table. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I know we should celebrate the arrival of those to a new land. We thank those pilgrims briefly but Thanksgiving has really morphed into a major food holiday. I’m ok with that since I love to plan, prepare, cook, serve, and eat the traditional foods of this holiday.
I have been making family recipes for years now. I cooked my first turkey at 16 years old for my then-boyfriends family and been making them ever since. While I love making my tried and true recipes, I occasionally have to play with a recipe and turn it all around. It’s no secret that I love putting fruit in my savory dishes, so it seemed absolutely natural to add apples and cranberries to a holiday dressing (stuffing if you’re going to put it in the bird.)
I made this, and a friend heard about it and promptly stopped by to sample it, we both ate it cold the next day straight from the container. I was delicious but cold dressing is a favorite.
Sage Apple Cranberry DressingPrint
- 1 loaf bread; dried and cubed/crumbled
- 4 ribs celery; diced
- 1 onion; diced
- 3 medium apples; diced
- 1/3 cup butter; plus 2 tbsp. melted
- 1 tsp . dried sage
- 3 cloves garlic; minced/grated
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- Salt/pepper; to taste
- 1 cup warm broth
- 1/2 cup warm white wine (or just use more broth)
- In a large sauté pan, melt the 1/3 cup butter; add the celery, onion, apples and saute for about 4 minutes.
- Add the sage, salt, pepper, garlic, and cranberries.
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Put the bread into a large bowl and toss with the sautéed fruit and vegetables.
- Slowly add the warmed wine or broth and continue to mix.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Add to a baking dish and pour the remaining 2 tbsp butter over the top, cover with foil and cook at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Once it has cooked for 30 minutes, remove the foil and cook an additional 5 minutes uncovered.