Wonton Ravioli With Cherries and Brown Butter Sauce ~ Luscious, savory, sweet, and spicy, a meal you soon won’t forget for its elegance and flavor.
Hi everyone. Today I am in Salt Lake City at the Everything Food Conference. I didn’t want to leave you hanging for too many days without a recipe, so my dear friend Rini from Healing Tomato has graciously offered to share a recipe. Rini and I met a couple of years ago in a food blogger’s group. We grew to be friends over many late nights of chatting, whether working out recipe ideas together or my whining about whatever tech issue I was having, as she is something of a guru that way. She is a vegetarian (and often vegan) blogger, and always trying to woo me to the non-meat eating ways, and I try to lure her over to the meaty side. We’ve been at stalemate on the matter for a while now. She made this Brussels Sprouts Grilled Cheese Sandwich I still see in my dreams. Without further ado, here’s Rini.What a delightful honor to be a able to guest post for Michelle! I have known her for over two years now and she is one of the most diligent bloggers I know. So, when she asked me to create a vegetarian recipe for her blog, I jumped at the chance. I hope you guys like this recipe.
This recipe is Wonton Ravioli topped with Cherries in a Brown Butter Sauce. I wanted it to be savory and decadent recipe. The recipe is vegetarian but there are vegan options too.
For the ravioli casing, I went with the very easy and accessible wonton wrappers because they are less messy than making your own dough. The stuffing has a secret ingredient which I am all to happy to share with all of you.
An old Italian grandmother I knew always ground up Amaretti cookies in her baking and pasta recipes because it adds a nice nutty flavor to the recipe. Lucky for vegans, Amazon is selling vegan, GF amaretti cookies at a very affordable rate.You can always substitute soft tofu for ricotta cheese or make your very own ricotta cheese. Earth Balance makes sticks of butter that are perfect for melting and topping the ravioli.
Wonton Ravioli With Cherries and Brown Butter Sauce
For the ravioli filling
- 1 cup of button mushrooms
- 1/2 of an orange bell pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese
- 5 small shallots
- 1/2 of a Jalapeno (optional)
- 2 small Amaretti cookies
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp of dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp of fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/8 tsp of whole peppercorns
- 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
For the brown butter sauce
- 1/4 stick of Butter
- 4 Sage leaves
- 1/2 cup of Cherries , halved and pitted
For Making The Raviolis
- 10-20 Wonton Wrappers
- Water to seal the wrappers
- Water to boil the wonton ravioli
- Parmesean cheese for garnish (Vegan option)
- 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
For the ravioli filling
- Place the wonton wrappers on a plate and cover them with a damp paper towel to prevent them from drying.
- Chop the mushrooms, lengthwise and thin.
- Finely chop the bell peppers
- Cut the shallots in circular shapes
- Chop the jalapeño finely.
- In a medium pan, add the extra virgin olive oil and heat at medium heat
- Add the garlic cloves after 30 seconds.
- Roast the garlic for 30 seconds before adding the mushrooms, bell pepper, shallots and jalapeño.
- Let the veggies saute for about 7 minutes on medium to low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the other ingredients, except for the lime juice.
- Sauté until the mushrooms have shrunk to half their size and browned.
- Add the lime juice, mix and set aside.
- While the veggies are sauteing, add the amaretti cookies in a mini food processor and grind until they are a fine powder consistency.
- Add the ricotta cheese and blend on low speed until all the ricotta is blended with the amaretti.
- Add the sauted veggies to the blender with the ricotta mixture.
- Process until everything is blended and there is a cream cheese consistency to the mixture.
- Adjust for taste at this point.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl
Prepare the wonton ravioli
- On a flat surface, place a wonton wrapper.
- Place the floured side of the wonton at the bottom.
- Add 1/2 tsp of the veggie and ravioli mixture to the middle of the wonton.
- Using a brush, wet the edges of the wonton wrapper.
- Take the bottom left corner and roll it to the top right of the wonton wrapper. This will form a triangle shape.
- Start by gently pushing right where the filling ends and work your way to the end of the triangle.
- Make sure you leave no air bubbles.
- Tightly seal the edges because this will make sure that the filling doesn’t spill out when it is boiling.
- Dampen the left and right corners of the longest side of the triangle.
- Join them together and press gently but firmly.
- Set it on a dish and cover with a damp cloth.
- Repeat the above process for the remainder of the wontons.
- Before making your second wonton, start boiling water on the stove top. I usually fill the pot 3/4 of the way and add 1 tsp of salt.
- When all the ravioli has been made, gently place them in the boiling water. You can place them one at a time in the water or place all of them at once.
- When the wontons rise to the top, use a strainer to remove them from the boiling water. Set them on a plate.
- Prepare the brown butter sauce.
- Heat a heavy skillet at medium heat and place the butter stick on it.
- Add the Sage and let the butter brown. Will take about 3-4 minutes. I whisk it constantly (but gently) to prevent it from sticking at the bottom.
- Remove the butter sauce from the heat and transfer it to a glass bowl. Be very careful not to touch the bowl because it is very hot.
Bringing the recipe together
- Don’t wash the skillet, just place it back on medium heat.
- Add the cherries to the skillet. If the skillet seems too dry, add 1 tsp of the brown butter sauce.
- Let the cherries’ skin crinkle, then add the ravioli. Saute for about 1 minute.
- Transfer the ravioli and cherries to the serving dish.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the brown butter sauce. You may not use all of the brown butter sauce. (I strain the remaining brown butter sauce and put it in an air-tight container. Then, I use it for cookies or other baking needs.)
- Top with the pistachio powder and grate some parmesan cheese on it right before serving.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Thank you Rini for sharing this delicious Wonton Ravioli with Cherries and Brown Butter Sauce today. If you enjoyed this recipe, please see what else she has created, she is available on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and G+